Friday, April 2, 2010

Front HS Spar








I got to work today on the airplane as soon as I got home from work. I was thinking about building all day and couldn't wait until I would be able to continue. I started tapering the ends of HS-710 and HS-714. Initially I used our Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to knock off as much of the excess aluminum as possible. This proved to work quite well but using the Scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder alone work surprisingly faster. It's amazing how beautiful of a finish the parts are left with after using the Scotchbrite wheel!

Once the tapering was done on the aluminum stock we moved on to putting the 6 degrees of bend in them that the plans called for. We used our vise with wood blocks sandwiching the part to avoid marring up the surface, and once the piece was in the vise we aimed another piece of wood at the bend and used a 2 lb. deadblow mallet to apply the bending force.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kendall,

    I put a link to your blog on www.HemetModelMasters.Org. This way, your model friends can keep up with your antics.

    If you don't want the publicity, let me know, and I'll undo it.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete