Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First RV Flight



Today was a great day. Dad and I went out to the airport to meet up with our friends and have some breakfast at the cafe. We later went over to our friend Jack Pickering's hangar where he keeps a beautiful RV-6A that was finished in 1996 and his stepson Dwayne's RV-7A which is currently under construction. While we were there we picked their brains about priming our parts, asking about Alodine and Alumiprep. We decided that we're going to skip the Alodining process and stick with using Alumiprep and then spraying a coat of olive drab self-etching primer over the parts. I was looking at Jack's RV-6A and noticed he had won an award at Oshkosh with it. He let me sit in it to get a feeling for the airplane, see how much leg room there was, how the sliding canopy worked, etc. It was then when he asked me when I would have time to go for a flight. I looked at my dad and he could tell I was excited, I told him I was able to go now! I just had to be back in time for work.
We pulled N96EV out of the hangar and did the walk-around/preflight. He showed me what to check out, not too much different from the 150G we currently fly. We put a quart of oil into his modified Lycoming IO-360 and she was ready to take to the skys. We hopped in and he showed me his start up process for the injected engine. Boost pump on, wait a few seconds, then put it to off, push in the mixture and turn the engine over. It came to life! It sounded awesome I must say. We taxied to Runway 23, did the run up and he let me take off. As soon as I started feeding in the throttle I felt myself sinking into the seat. Keep some back pressure on the stick and we're off in a few hundred feet. Hello 2000+ fpm! About 8x the climb performance of our little 150. We departed on a left down wind and did some power off stalls as well as a few aileron rolls. I couldn't believe the performance that was at my hands with the RV, it only made me want to go home and get cracking even more on the 7! After a few steep turns I lined us up on a left 45 for the downwind for Rwy 23 and let Jack take over. After a greased landing we taxied back in and shut her down. I was very satisfied. It's such a beautiful flying airplane and has so much performance there's nothing to dislike about it. I thanked Jack with full gratitude and I owe him for introducing me to RV flight. Do you need any parts polished Jack? It was a great day for flying, and I had an awesome time.

No comments:

Post a Comment