Friday, April 1, 2011

Fuel Tank Prep

Today before work Dad and I thought we would prepare the fuel tanks for their sealing. So we did just that. I still have a couple of questions on the capacative senders and the vent line but we still got a lot done today. We had already drilled the filler caps to the tanks a few days ago, but that's all we had done to them. We took them off and I got to countersinking them. While I did that Dad taped in some rivets so we could back dimple all of the holes that needed it. Once we had the filler all in place we moved on to the drain sumps. These were pretty straight forward. I just used a square and drew a line through them from front to back and we lined the holes on the drain up with the line. No one will ever see them, but at least they're symetrical! While we were on a roll we wanted to keep going and get as much done as possible. We dimpled the perimeter screw attach holes with our squeezer and they turned out great (Van's says you get better results with a C-frame but I don't know how.) Since I had to work at 3 today, we left enough time for us to watch a Fuel Tank Sealing tape. The thing was shot in the early 90's most likely but hey, it's still relevant and we both learned a lot! After that I had to leave for work and Dad got to work on notching out the vent line snap bushings, he did a nice job on them and that was all we were able to get done today but we're happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment