Friday, January 14, 2011

Wing Walk Doubler

Today after work I headed straight to the airport to meet up with Dad. He was already waiting at the hangar and was get ready to work and so was I! We already had the wing skeleton in the stand but all we had to do was get it jacked up precisely to take the sag out of it. Got that done and started on the next project. Van's says the next step is to cut the wing walk doubler to size so that's exactly what we did. The plans call for the .025" sheet to be cut to 26" x 9/38". They also say that the doubler should overhang the rear spar by 1" but with it cut to 26" it only hung over by about 1/4". I wasn't too sure why this was or if it was important so I just cut it approx. 1" long. A couple of quick cuts with our friends brake and a nice wing walk doubler we had! After looking at other builder's websites tonight I found that everyone is cutting them to 26", next time I'm at the hangar I'll make sure to get that done.

Once we had the doubler cut we clamped it to the top inboard wing skin and match-drilled it. Then we were able to start clecoing things together. It's starting to look like a wing! We made quite a bit of progress tonight with the limited amount of time we had (we needed to get home to see the new Discovery channel Flying Wild Alaska) and we're definitely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment