Thursday, November 18, 2010

Aileron Skin Work

Today Dad and I were able to get quite a bit of work done on the project. We started the day out with breakfast at Bambi's Hangar One cafe on the airport and chatted with our friends Jack and Dwayne. We saw a couple of regular RV's sitting outside; an -8 and a -6A, both beautiful aircraft. After a quick bite and a couple cups of coffee I made my way over to the flight school to speak with my flight instructor/good friend Ed Matthews while Dad opened up the hangar. Today we scheduled my checkride for the commercial license and figured how we were going to work it. It feels great to finally have this thing scheduled, and once it's over there'll be more time to think about the RV! Also it had been over a month since the last time I flew so I decided to knock some rust off and practice the commercial maneuvers. It felt awesome to be back in the air!

I had finished cutting and shaping the aileron stiffeners a couple of days ago so we decided we would finish match drilling them to their appropriate skins. Once that was done we moved on to dimpling the parts and cleaned up the edges. I used the hand squeezer to dimple the stiffeners and Dad and I continued to use our backdimpling method for the skins. Needless to say they turned out flawlessly! We're still having a blast working on the project and the progress keeps us motivated for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment