Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tools Arrive!

Today the tools finally arrived! Dad and I had a lot of fun checking out all the new toys and taking inventory of them, we actually got to put them to use today too. We also initiated the process of getting our workshop ready, we'll be building in a public storage facility not too far from our house. It measures 10' x 20' and will suffice until we need something bigger. We have one of our tables laid out with all of our power tools and we're waiting for Lowe's to get our 3 x 8 solid door to come in. This will act as our main workbench and it will sit on two 600lb. capable sawhorses.

Van's Aircraft offers a toolbox kit that you can build as practice to get used to some of the techniques used in building the actual aircraft. Dimpling skins, setting rivets and drilling holes, these are all used in the building of the toolbox and the airplane itself. We started learning by deburring all of the materials, then we got to dimpling the sheet aluminum, and I got to set my first rivets today! It's amazing how much strenght a tiny rivet can offer. No wonder they're used in aviation. My favorite tools so far are the mini air drill and the Tatco hand squeezer. They're all fun though.

Unfortunately this is all I'm able to post tonight, I'm getting tired and Dad and I had a busy day. But it was very productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment